Review - 'The Duke's Stolen Bride' by Sophie Jordan


I was in the middle of a dreadful read, and I needed a diversion. Digging through my towering TBR pile, I came across this gem. The silly cover and laughable title both promises to at least offer some respite from my current predicament, and hopefully I'll get a bit of steamy fun out of it too.

Marian has been in dire financial means ever since the passing of her father. She has to find some way to make money and take care of her younger siblings. So she comes up with the idea of becoming a high-end mistress, but she needs someone to show her the ropes. And who would make a better tutor than the depraved Duke of Warrington?

I know, you snorted at that ridiculous premise. I did too. But the story surprised me in all the best ways. It was entertaining, steamy, and definitely a bit hammed up. And it has one of my favorite things from this genre: a strong female lead. Marian is smart, resourceful, and determined to make her way, even though she knows that her choices are limited. I felt for her and could not help but cheer her on.

This isn't a love story for the ages or anything. It's insta-love at its best, or more accurately, insta-lust. If I'm rating it in the the strictest sense, this is more of a 3.5 stars since it wasn't particularly memorable, but it was such a fun, lighthearted way to spend a few hours, I'm going to bump it up to 4 stars.

I always mean to read more Regency romances, but I just never get around to them. In total, I think I've only read a handful so far, and it's clear I'm missing out. Please let me know if you have any favorites I should try.

Readaroo Rating: 4 stars

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.