Review - 'A Study in Scarlet Women' by Sherry Thomas


A Study in Scarlet Women is the first book in the Lady Sherlock series. I had previously read the second book in the series, and really enjoyed its unique twist on the Sherlock Holmes adventures. Now I get to go back to the beginning and see how Charlotte Holmes came to open a business under the assumed identity of Sherlock Holmes in a Victorian era when women were not encouraged to be anything other than a wife and mother.

What had so charmed me about the second book in the series is also present in this first book. I love the character of Charlotte, strong and independent, casting aside society's expectations and trying to make her own way in the world. It's wonderful to come across such an astute and feisty female character who doesn't whimper in the face of adversity, but rather meets it with resolve and intelligence.

The resolutions of the mysteries themselves are a bit of a weakness in this series, and this book is no different. While it's fun to see the murder take place and meet all the suspects, once the solution is supposed to be explained to the reader, I feel it doesn't quite come together. The solution is too complex, so it leaves me confused and having to go back to reread parts multiple times. It's partly because there are so many characters that it's hard to keep them straight in my mind, especially when they all have unusual ties to each other.

However, even with the weakness of the resolutions, I will continue reading this series, so I hope Thomas writes more books! Charlotte Holmes is such a fun and interesting character, and I enjoy cheering her on as she finds her success in a male-dominated society.

Readaroo Rating: 3 stars

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.