Review - 'The Silent Patient' by Alex Michaelides


This is easily one of the best mystery/thrillers, if not the best, I have ever read.

Alicia shoots her beloved husband in the face five times, then never speaks another word. Theo, a psychotherapist, is captivated by Alicia's story and wants to help her. He thinks he can get her to speak again and divulge why she killed her husband. What follows is a search for truth in what really happened between Alicia and her husband.

First of all, if you haven't read this book yet, you absolutely should. And you should stop reading my review and any other reviews/blurbs/thoughts about this book until you do. Because while I always strive to make my reviews 100% spoiler-free (this one included), there's something to be said for expectations. And there's no way reading anything about this book wouldn't sway your expectations.

I made the mistake, after reading this book and loving it, of not only recommending it to a friend, but also talking up how much this book amazed me, how great the reveals were, yada yada yada. And so when she read it, she had built up an inkling of something to come and anticipated it, hence losing the element of surprise. So I inadvertently committed the biggest book faux-paus ever and ruined a fantastic book for a friend. It's something I regret to this day. (Elaine, if you're reading this, I'm so sorry!)

I certainly don't want to do that again. So yeah, I'm warning you. Last chance to turn back if you haven't read this book.

Okay, now that I'm among only those who are in the know, I feel like I can freely gush. How amazing was that reveal?! I usually have terrible book memory, but I'm certain I will remember that reveal for the rest of my life. It wasn't just what it was, but also how it was executed. Not only did I not see the twist coming, but I was so surprised I stared open-mouthed at my book and reread it multiple times to make sure my brain could comprehend the complete mind bend of what I had just experienced.

But to simplify this story down to just its reveal feels like an injustice. At its heart, this is a confounding murder mystery and it includes all of the requisite parts—clues, suspicious persons, and red herrings. We are directed one way, then another. But like any great mystery, the real magic is in its sleight of hand. While we are focused on one thing, really something else is going on altogether. And at the end, we can only wonder at the sheer audacity of what it takes to pull off such a magical feat.

The story grabbed me from the very beginning with an intensity that didn't let go. Once I started, I couldn't put it down. I was turning the pages as fast as I could, immersed in the experience and loving every moment. It only took me a few hours to get through the whole thing, and at the end my head was definitely left spinning in the best way possible.

Recently, I read it again. I wanted to see if the magic of the first time is still there or if, now knowing the twists, the story would feel lesser than. And I'm so happy to report that I loved it just as much the second time around. Now, instead of having to pay attention to the plot, I could really focus on how masterfully Alex Michaelides built up the mystery and its reveal. And it really is something to marvel at.

I have to say, books of this genre are always billed as astounding and surprising when most of the time they just feel contrived and silly with no payoff at the end. But wow, does this book deliver! It's so darn satisfying to read such a compulsively addicting story, with twists done right that left me absolutely speechless.

Readaroo Rating: 5 stars!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.