Review - 'Singapore Sapphire' by A.M. Stuart


I've been looking for a good mystery series to sink my teeth into, and this just might be it.

Set in colonial Singapore, Singapore Sapphire introduces us to the strong and unflinching Harriet Gordon, who is trying to earn some money as a typist at a time when women are discouraged from education and working. When her first client is found murdered, she is drawn into the case, along with the kind and intelligent Inspector Curran. As more bodies show up, they soon realize this case is bigger than anyone initially thought.

I found the mystery to be quite fun. There were plenty of shady characters, and the story, once it got going, unfolded with one interesting event after another. It was also an unusual change of pace from most mysteries to have the police in here be portrayed as competent and kind. In fact, though this series focuses on Harriet and she pokes around as much as she can as a civilian, Inspector Curran plays a vital role in solving the case and saving the day.

I did find the pacing of this book to be a bit uneven, with the first quarter of it being quite slow and plodding. With this being the first book in the series, the characters and the setting understandably have to be introduced, though it felt like that was done a little too leisurely. But I'm really glad I stuck it out, because once I got past that part, the story picked up and became unceasingly entertaining.

Part of the reason this book initially attracted my attention is that I loved my visit to Singapore a few years ago, and it's always fun to read a story set in a place you've been. The author did an amazing job portraying the atmosphere of the place, with the heat, its oppressive humidity that's particularly rough for newcomers, the torrential rain storms, and its interesting mix of people from many different backgrounds. It was also fun to recognize places that we had visited while we were there.

This is the first book in the series, and it's an enjoyable and compelling start. I can't wait for more adventures from Harriet and Curran.

Readaroo Rating: 4 stars

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.