Review - 'In the Dark' by Loreth Anne White


You say locked-room mystery, I say sold.

In the Dark starts off with eight lucky strangers being flown out to a secluded wilderness spa for a luxurious vacation. But when they arrive, they realize nothing is as promised. Each guest is hiding a secret that could ruin them if discovered. And as an approaching storm cuts off all access to the outside world, they start to understand there is no escape.

This book is so fun! It's exactly the kind of immersive and entertaining thriller that I enjoy. It hits all the right notes when it comes to suspense and tension and mystery. Once I got into the story, I was turning the pages as fast as I could. When I wasn't reading it, I was mulling it over in my head, trying to puzzle it out.

The way this book is written is really interesting. We follow what is going on at the secluded lodge, while it's simultaneously interlaced with the investigation up to that point. I think the author did a masterful job with this, and it made the investigation as fascinating as the main story.

I was a little worried going in that this would be too similar to Agatha Christie's And Then There Were None, which this story mimics and heavily references. But I'm happy to report that this isn't a remake and is actually a unique story in its own right. If you haven't read And Then There Were None (one of the best books EVER, in my opinion), you should definitely read that first since this book spoils it thoroughly.

I really enjoy a locked-room mystery when done right, and this one sure does. The writing and the plot are both so compelling, and for such a grim idea, it was loads of fun. This is my first time reading Loreth Anne White, and I must check out more of her books.

Readaroo Rating: 4 stars

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.