Review - 'Bringing Down the Duke' by Evie Dunmore


Sometimes a wonderful book leaves an emotional mark on us, but Bringing Down the Duke left a physical mark on me too.

Annabelle is strong and capable, but destitute. When an opportunity to study at Oxford presents itself, she grabs it with both hands. It comes with a scholarship that stipulates her involvement with the women's suffrage movement. She needs to lobby men of influence to their cause, which is how her path crosses with the Duke of Montgomery's.

This story has everything I love in a romance. Annabelle is smart and competent, and she's not afraid to work hard to make the best of her meager situation. Montgomery is dashing and attentive. Though he comes across a bit cold in the beginning, Annabelle slowly thaws him out.

He finds her fascinating not just for her pretty face, but also for her sharp mind. Even though she's resilient and can take care of herself, he's still protective of her and comes to her aid. There is so much witty banter and meaningful dialogue everywhere. And the Victorian era reticence and propriety just adds to the whole charming atmosphere.

I also really enjoyed the look into the women's suffrage movement. It's the perfect companion and back story to this romance, as it mirrors the value Annabelle places on her independence and her reluctance to hand over any powers to a man. It's uplifting and thought-provoking to read about what strong women went through back in the day to ensure we have the rights we do today.

So how did this book leave a mark on me? Well, I couldn't put it down, not even for a second. So I was walking and reading at the same time (danger alert!) when I stumbled over an errant sign on the sidewalk and took a fall. I was mostly ok (other than my pride), but I did skin my knee pretty badly. When it healed, it left this long purple scar behind. Now every time I look at it, I think of the book I thoroughly loved.

I'm a romantic at heart, so I'm always searching for the perfect romance that speaks to me. And I found exactly what I was looking for in this book. Strong women and the dashing men who value them for their mind and their wit will do it for me every time. I pretty much swooned from beginning to end. After this, I'll read anything by Evie Dunmore. I just won't be walking at the same time... learned that lesson!

Readaroo Rating: 5 stars!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.