Review - 'The Answer Is…: Reflections on My Life' by Alex Trebek

 

Jeopardy! has long been a staple in our family, and we try to catch it every chance we get. My husband, in particular, loves the show, and we have a friendly competition going to see who can shout out the most correct answers before they're revealed. If one of us is particularly clever, that person even gets to lord it over the other for a couple of hours afterwards. So I was super curious when I saw that Trebek's memoir was coming out.

The Answer Is… is a look back at Trebek's life and his work in television. Told through short vignettes, it's a chance for the famous game show host to reflect on his life and to share some of the wisdom he's gain through the years. The short chapters, each only about one to three pages in length, make this a super readable book. Whenever I had a few moments, I would easily gobble up a few chapters. My favorite parts are definitely those related to his work on Jeopardy!

I wouldn't say this book provides a particularly insightful look or a deep dive into his life. Rather, Trebek has said himself that his mental faculties have been fading a bit with age and by rigorous cancer treatment, and that is something that's reflected in the book. Still, he comes across as hardworking, humble, and kind. And he seems to have a great sense of humor, able to laugh at life and at himself.

I enjoyed this book and found it interesting, though I wish it offered more. But still, as a fan of the show, I found it to be a terrific companion to understanding more of the man behind the show. I don't think this memoir is for every reader, but I'd definitely recommend it if you're a fan of Jeopardy!

Readaroo Rating: 3 stars

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.