Review - 'Moonflower Murders' by Anthony Horowitz


Ever since I read Magpie Murders and was blown away by its format of a mystery within a mystery, I've been keeping all my fingers and toes crossed, hoping there might be a follow-up. And now my book prayers have been answered. Moonflower Murders is here, and I'm so happy to report that it was just as amazing as its predecessor.

Former editor Susan Ryeland is contacted by a couple whose daughter has just gone missing. Eight years prior, a horrific murder had taken place at their hotel and there's a question of whether the real murderer had been apprehended. One of Susan's writers, Alan Conway, knew the murder victim and had stayed at the hotel shortly after the murder. It seems Conway had subsequently written what had happened into his mystery novel, and the daughter realized he had clearly pointed to who was responsible in his story. But before she could tell anyone what the clue was, she had disappeared.

This is a lengthy book, with the text coming in at just under 600 pages, because it really is two mysteries in one. In addition to the disappearance of the daughter and the mystery of what really happened at that murder eight years ago, we also get to read the entirety of Conway's novel. But honestly, I breezed through the whole thing in just a few days. I was hooked from the first page, and I couldn't put it down.

This book is exactly the sort of murder mystery I love: substantial, clever, different, and immensely satisfying. I read so much of this genre that very few books manage to surprise me; I always have an inkling of what's going on and who's guilty. Yet, this book managed to surprise me on both of its mysteries.

The inner mystery, Conway's novel, is written in the style of the Golden Age, and to me, it comes as close to the bar of Agatha Christie as any I have ever read. The outer mystery is a modern take on the genre, but it contains the same hallmarks that I love from the Golden Age, including a small cast of characters, lots of clues and red herrings, and that ultimate reveal when everything is explained with amazement and satisfaction.

Horowitz doesn't cheat the reader. All the clues are there, though for some reason, I just don't see them, again and again. And his ability to trick me and to keep me amazed is what makes me love this series. I hope, now that there is a second book, that this is only the beginning of a VERY long series. If so, I can't wait to read more.

Readaroo Rating: 5 stars!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.