Review - 'It Happened One Summer' by Tessa Bailey


Every time I'm about to embark on a Tessa Bailey book, I'm just filled with glee. She has always spoken my love language, and with this Bellinger Sisters series, I feel like she's really hit the top of her game.

Why did it take me so long to get to this book? I kept putting it off because I'd seen some mixed reviews and was afraid I wouldn't enjoy it. But of course Tessa Bailey wouldn't let me down. I should've known better than to doubt her.

Piper is a wealthy socialite who passes her days with shopping, partying, and attention-hogging on the internet. But after a publicity stunt goes wrong, her stepfather cuts off her funding. She's forced to go to Westport to find her roots and her purpose in life. But what does a girl like her know about fitting in at this small fishing town? Soon though, she starts to understand what makes Westport so special, including a certain gruff, hardworking sea captain.

Can we take a moment to talk about how adorable the Piper and Brendan pairing is? Piper appears a bit frivolous at first with her glamorous exterior, but underneath is an optimistic gal with a heart of gold. And Brendan is clearly besotted with her, though he tries hard to hide it beneath his grouchy, reticent demeanor. How cute is that! Honestly, I just can't get enough of the grumpy/sunshine trope.

While a lot of romances skirt around the fact that the female lead might be high-maintenance, I love how this book puts it front and center. Both Piper and Brendan not only acknowledge it, but it's a big part of their attraction to each other. She wants nice things and he wants to give them to her. While I'm a pretty low-maintenance girl myself, it still makes my heart go pitter-patter to think of a lover who wants to work hard to keep their beloved's affection.

As the story progressed, I loved the focus on Piper taking the time to discover who she really is and finding the meaning that she so desperately craves. The backstory of why she is in Westport and all the supporting characters add so much heart to this whole thing. Change is hard, and it's heartwarming to see both Piper and Brendan change and meet in the middle to make their relationship work.

This is the fifth book by Tessa Bailey I've read, and I've loved them all. You'd think by this point, her stories would start to feel old and stale, but no. Each of her books feels unique, with its interesting characters and fun storylines. They just draw me in and I'm always riveted.

Since this is a Tessa Bailey, of course it comes with a public service announcement regarding the steam factor. Please watch out, especially if it's your first one by her. She definitely isn't shy about including explicit, open-door scenes, even though the cute cover will have you thinking otherwise.

No doubt about it, this was a delightful experience from beginning to end, with enough sizzle to leave a permanent sear on my heart. In fact, of all the Tessa Bailey's I've read so far, this has got to be my favorite. It totally spoke to me, and I loved every character and every moment. And there's just enough teaser in here that I can't wait to read Hannah and Fox's story.

Readaroo Rating: 5 stars!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.