Review - 'Kill Joy' by Holly Jackson


Ooh, how fun to don one's detective cap and suss out a killer in the midst, all under the guise of a party!

Pip, our favorite teen detective from A Good Girl's Guide to Murder, is joining friends for an evening of sleuthing. They're having a murder mystery party set in the 1920s, complete with costumes and accents. And when someone "dies", there are plenty of clues and red herrings to cast suspicion in every which way.

Reading this novella reminds me just how much I loved the original series. Pip is such a smart and spunky heroine, and it's thoroughly entertaining to follow along as she tries to figure out the killer. The way the clues are laid out and the setting of a remote island with a dysfunctional, wealthy family exude so much Agatha Christie vibes.

Since this is just a pretend murder, the stakes are low. It feels more cozy than suspenseful, but the book does a nice job of injecting some dark atmosphere into the mix, so it's still quite riveting. In fact, I had trouble putting it down and breezed through the whole thing in about two hours.

I will say, I don't generally gravitate towards novellas (or short stories, for that matter). It's because I find them to be a bit unsatisfying. Just as you're getting into the whole thing, it's already over. And it felt a bit like that here. I wanted more. More of the murder, more of the solving, more of the explanation. But I suppose it's better to end up wanting more than wanting less, so that's a small complaint.

It was definitely fun to revisit Pip's world. I was a little sad that the series was over, so I'm glad to have this bonus story so I could experience just a bit more of what I loved.

Also, as an aside, is this sort of murder mystery game a real thing? Because I need it in my life pronto.

Readaroo Rating: 4 stars

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.