Review - 'Lies and Weddings' by Kevin Kwan


"Are you that cruel of a son, to stand there and watch your helpless parents wither away when all you have to do is marry a billionaire?"

Ahh. While The Notorious B.I.G. may have popularized the phrase "Mo Money Mo Problems," Kevin Kwan has turned it into the anthem of his stories.

I do have to say, there's no feeling quite like cracking open one of Kwan's book. You know you're in for a scathing good time, one that will transport you to wealthy and dazzling locales full of rich people and their rich people problems (wink wink). In fact, I try to save his books for when I'm jet-setting around the world (yeah right), spending the benjis like nobody's business (only in my dreams).

Okay, in all seriousness, while this may seem like a superficial romp at first glance, it's actually so much more. It's a social satire that strikes at the heart of our materialistic society and also Asian cultures and families. At times, it's so spot-on with its searing critiques, I marvel at their execution all wrapped up in this riveting tale.

In order for a satire to succeed, it must never lose sight of the characters' humanity. Otherwise, all we have is a bunch of caricatures without any soul. And this book gets it right. Even though the Countess of Greshamsbury, our "villain" of the story, perfectly embodies the worst of a social-climbing, guilt-tripping, shrilly opportunistic mother, she is also strangely sympathetic. I understood her need to secure a good future for her children, however misguided her actions may be.

But it isn't just one or two characters that stands out; it's all of them. Every main and supporting character in here is interesting and likable, and together, they imbue the scenes with their allure and charm. It adds an undeniable sparkle to the story, making each and every page a joy to read.

As I was going through this book, I kept being impressed by all the details in here. I imagine Kevin Kwan must have done extensive research into art, fashion, and architecture in order to infuse the story with so much authenticity. It adds yet another layer of fun to the reading experience to be able to look up many of the people and things referenced in here.

Recently I've been shying away from light and fun reads. It's not that I don't love them. In fact, escapist reads are my raison d'être for reading in the first place. But it feels like so many of the books I've picked up lately confuse light with boring, as if low stakes is somehow the same as no stakes. So it's refreshing to find a book that gets the balance right.

Kevin Kwan truly has an inimitable style. His stories are fun and frothy, but never frivolous. His characters are memorable. And his portrayals are so sharp and astute, they often leave me laughing and wincing in equal measure.

Readaroo Rating: 4 stars

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.