Review - 'The Hollow of Fear' by Sherry Thomas


In The Hollow of Fear, Charlotte Holmes is back again, this time to save her close friend Lord Ingram from a murder charge. This is the third book in the Lady Sherlock series, and it just keeps getting better. It picks up right where the second book left off, so if you are thinking of starting this series, I recommend reading the books in order for maximum understanding.

Everything I love in the first two books are back, including Holmes' intelligence, courage, spirit, and loyalty to those she loves. She consults under the assumed name of Sherlock Holmes, whom she pretends is her brother, working hard at a time when women are expected to stay at home and look pretty. It's so refreshing and heartwarming to read a series with a strong and capable female lead at a time when it seems like books are teeming with silly, paranoid, drug-abusing ones.

I also love the setting of the Victorian era. There's something about the way Thomas writes that captures the prudishness and formality of that time, making it come alive. Her dialog is witty and charming, and I often find myself reading passages multiple times just to soak it all in.

As far as the mystery, it looks like Thomas tried to simplify things down in this book, which is a good thing. I thought the mysteries in the first two books were overly complicated and convoluted, with so many characters to keep track of. There weren't many new characters in this one and they all fit in nicely with each other, so it was easy to remember who they all are. The conclusion wrapped everything up nicely, and even contained a few surprises.

Ah, now I can't wait for the next book! I hope Thomas writes fast and puts me out of my misery.

Readaroo Rating: 4 stars

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.