Review - 'Still Life' by Louise Penny


In Still Life, an old woman named Jane Neal is found murdered in the woods in the small town of Three Pines. In steps Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, who understands that to solve the murder, he has to get to know the hearts of the people of Three Pines.

The mystery itself is on the cozy side, without too much gruesomeness or suspense. But that's how I prefer my murder mysteries. I like to sit comfortably with a warm beverage and not feel like my heart is about to leap out of my chest for fear of what I will read next. Yet, for a cozy mystery, it's still plenty riveting and even has moments of humor. There are lots of twists and turns, and when the reveal happens in the end, it's clever and satisfying.

What I liked the most about this book is Gamache. There's a real sweetness in how he approaches the crime and how he treats the detectives helping him on the case. It's heartwarming that after seeing and solving so many murders, he hasn't become cynical or arrogant. And his group of detectives are competent and fun, with the exception of one annoying person who I hope isn't in any further books.

This is my first exposure to Armand Gamache, and I'm definitely going to keep going with this series. I want to read more of the kindness and heart of Gamache that has so drawn me in on this first book.

Readaroo Rating: 3 stars

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.