Review - 'Sheer Mischief' by Jill Mansell


While I usually adore Jill Mansell's books, Sheer Mischief fell flat to me. One issue is that, for a good amount of this story, it felt rambling and unfocused. It took about half the book before it became clear to me who would pair up with whom; before that, every pairing was a possibility from the way it was written. I like knowing which couples to cheer for when I'm reading my chick lit, so this really confused me.

I also found the main character Janey to be pitiful and annoying in how she refuses to believe that a good guy could like her. She would turn down dates with them because she feels she isn't good enough and also they would have a better time going out with someone else. Instead, she spends all her time being stubbornly loyal and attracted to guys who treated her badly, while feeling sorry for herself that no one likes her. Puh-lease!

There are still charm and wit in this book that's so typical from the author, and a few of the lines had me bursting out laughing from the humor and well-delivered sarcasm. I'll continue to seek out Jill Mansell's books, but it's a bummer this one turned out to be such a dud.

Readaroo Rating: 2 stars

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.