Review - 'The Wife Between Us' by Greer Hendricks & Sarah Pekkanen


On the surface, The Wife Between Us seems to be about a jealous ex-wife trying to come between her ex-husband and his new young love. But we are urged to "assume nothing". Well, the problem is, by assuming nothing, I pretty much figured out what the book was about right from the beginning, and that was that.

After that, every plot twist felt like a letdown and nothing really surprised me. Part of the problem is that the book spends a lot of its time trying to hype the reader up about its upcoming reveals and repeating itself multiple times while doing so. If a book is going to go on and on about how good a reveal is, it really needs to deliver, and this book just didn't do that for me.

The other issue is that a lot of the characters' thoughts and actions seem forced and don't really make sense to me. If I were in their shoes, I wouldn't do or say or think these things, so it's rather hard for me to relate to the characters. There is one serious issue that the book tries to tackle, and for me, it just didn't do it justice and convince me that someone going through these things would act this way.

And yet, there is a spark to the book that makes it undeniably entertaining. Even though I pretty much knew what was going to happen, I still felt compelled to keep turning the pages until the very end. So while the book wasn't particularly thrilling or mysterious, it did end up being enjoyable, and I'm glad I finally got around to reading it.

Readaroo Rating: 3 stars

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.