Review - 'The Winter of the Witch' by Katherine Arden


The Winter of the Witch is the last book in the Winternight Trilogy, and it was a very nice conclusion to a most wonderful series.

I really enjoyed this book, though for me it doesn't quite reach the loftiness that was the second book, The Girl in the Tower, which remains my favorite of the trilogy. One reason is that this book feels more disjointed and less cohesive. It comes across as a few separate shorter stories rather than one big one. Also, some of my favorite characters from the other books have abbreviated or delayed showings. The scenes with Solovey and Morozko are magical, and I wish there were more of them. And at times, the pacing wasn't as tight as it could have been and parts of the book dragged on a little.

But these are pretty minor quibbles. I enjoyed the send off that this gave Vasya, our courageous and feisty heroine. She is all grown up in this book, having dealt with traumas that turn any child into an adult. Just like the previous books, the writing in this one is stellar, with many beautiful and lyrical passages that I can read over and over again. And this third book wraps up the tales of so many beloved characters and story lines, giving us readers the closure we're looking for.

This trilogy will go down as one of my all-time favorite series. It has been a wonderful journey, and I'm a little sad it has come to an end. I think I'll be on a bit of a book hangover until I find something this magical and beautiful again.

Readaroo Rating: 4 stars

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.