Review - 'The Girl He Used to Know' by Tracey Garvis Graves


The Girl He Used to Know was a middle-of-the-road read for me. I had hoped I would love it, but I ended up just liking it.

Jonathan meets Annika at their college's chess club, and through many games, falls in love with her. Annika is lovely and kind, though she has trouble navigating social situations and reading social cues. Their young love is tender and sweet, but tragedy strikes and they lose touch. Ten years later, they stumble upon each other and have a second chance at love.

My favorite part of this book is Annika. She's the sort of character you just want to hug and protect. She's sweet, unassuming, and kindhearted. She's also timid and shy because she understands that she's different from everyone else and doesn't want to draw attention to herself. As she gets comfortable in her relationship with Jonathan, and later living by herself in a big city, she slowly starts to come out of her shell and gains the confidence she's been seeking. Watching Annika grow through the story is heartwarming and fills me with so much joy.

I also really enjoyed Annika's interactions with her roommate Janice. Janice cares about her and looks out for her, coming to her rescue when others try to take advantage of her. She's the one Annika would bounce ideas off of, and go to for advice on interacting with boys and makeup and fashion. We'd all be so lucky to have a friend like Janice, and I'm glad Annika has her.

The story did come across as a little simple and naïve. It lacks the grit of real life and the messiness of real relationships. Things always work out for Annika, even if they look bleak for a while. But maybe that optimism works for this book, because it reinforces Annika's confidence that things will work out and that she can always trust in the good of others.

I also found the writing to be a little flat and emotionless. At first, I thought this was meant to portray the world from Annika's point of view since she has trouble understanding other people's emotions, but Jonathan's parts were the same. In addition, I found the drama at the end to be so odd and out of place. Its inclusion feels like a bit of emotional manipulation, as if to heighten the previously lacking emotional element in the story.

Still, I got enough out of the book that I'm glad I picked it up, even if it is a little simple and neat. The themes of this book provide a worthwhile reminder: that love is worth waiting for, that people are kind, and that things do work out all right in the end.

Readaroo Rating: 3 stars

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.