Review - '99 Percent Mine' by Sally Thorne


Normally, I feel the need to apologize if I hated a book that everyone else loves. But in this case, my apology is for the opposite—I had so much fun with 99 Percent Mine, and it seems like I'm in the minority. Sorry!

Right then, onto the story. Darcy has adored Tom since they were eight years old, but he's been off limits because he's her twin brother's best friend. Now that Darcy and her brother have inherited a rundown cottage from their grandmother, Tom is the one hired to bring it back to life. During construction, Darcy and Tom are thrown together, and it looks like Darcy finally has the chance to make her heart's wishes come true.

If I had to sum up this story in one word, it would be charming. Darcy and Tom are so freaking cute in their interactions together. Darcy is sparkly and sarcastic, a tough girl with a soft heart. Tom is quiet and serious, always looking out for Darcy and taking care of her.

My favorite part of this book is the bold and cheeky dialogue, where Darcy says inappropriate things to Tom just to get him to unbend and relax a little. He obviously enjoys her attention, but tries to look disapproving and keep them on task. Their interactions make me giggle and swoon, and are the absolute highlights of this book.

With romance books, it's hard to say what would enchant one reader but not another. Just like we don't all fall in love with the same person, we don't all fall in love with the same romance books. We connect with the characters and stories that remind us of ourselves and our own experiences. For me, this book is a home run. It perfectly captures all the magical feelings in those first few glorious months of falling in love.

This book really cements Sally Thorne as a must-read for me. Her vivacious female character and spirited dialogue completely speaks to me. This is the second book I've read by her and they both feel unique, a little more vibrant and quirky than your typical rom-com. Sally Thorne, please keep writing, and I'll keep reading!

Readaroo Rating: 4 stars

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.