Review - 'The Dry' by Jane Harper


Oh ok, I get it now. I can see why everyone loves this book!

Federal agent Aaron Falk goes back to his hometown for the funeral of Luke, his childhood best friend. Luke, along with his family, had died in suspicious circumstances. After the funeral, Luke's parents beg Falk to stay and look into the family's death. And just like that, Falk is drawn back into the small town's web of hardship, suspicion, and small-mindedness.

I find Jane Harper to be a riveting storyteller and The Dry is no different. Her characters are interesting and fully-formed, while the mystery itself is intriguing. The unfurling of the plot is skillfully handled, with plenty of suspense and momentum. With a neatly compiled list of potential suspects, the reader's attention is directed one way, then another, but the reveal at the end still takes me by surprise.

As an aside, I don't know what it is with Harper's books, but the blurbs just never do anything for me. Small towns, gossip and secrets, hot dry weathers, landscapes of dirt, small-mindedness, these are all things that don't really appeal to me. And yet, her stories end up being so compelling! Either she needs to hire someone else to write her book blurbs or I just need to stop reading them and trust that Harper hasn't let me down yet.

Readaroo Rating: 4 stars

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.