Review - 'Once Upon a River' by Diane Setterfield


There are stories that may be told aloud, and stories that must be told in whispers, and there are stories that are never told at all.
On the darkest night of the winter solstice, a wounded stranger shows up at an old inn by the river. In his arms he carries a dead child. A few hours later, against all odds, the child stirs and is alive again. What follows is a tale of magic, hope, love, redemption, and so much more.

Once Upon a River reads like a folklore, rich and lyrical. It's a fairy tale for adults who no longer believe in magic but still want magic in their stories. Its lush prose reminds me of childhood tales, just all grown up. It's nostalgic and warm, and I felt instantly transported.

There are many parts to this carefully crafted tale, and they are all expertly woven into one cohesive narrative. I was struck by the fully imagined characters, and in particular, the strong females. Rita is competent and progressive, while Bessie is goodhearted and resilient. I can't help but adore them.

I will say that the pacing of this book, while not exactly slow, is more luxurious. It's definitely not a book to read when you're in a hurry. It's best savored and enjoyed without haste, page by wonderful page. It's a slow burn and a bit on the longer side, so it requires patience from the reader. And for that, I was richly rewarded. It grabbed me from the very first moment and I was swept away. It's not a book you read for its twists and turns, yet every new revelation had me wanting more.

I'm so glad I finally picked this up. It was the perfect antidote for the stresses of real life. This captivating story, with its quiet lushness and its emotive portrayal of love and goodness, feels like a breath of fresh air against all the other tried-and-true genres out there. It was such a unique reading experience, and I can't think of any other quite like it.

Readaroo Rating: 4 stars

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.