Review - 'Gods of Jade and Shadow' by Silvia Moreno-Garcia


Even though I'm all grown up, I feel like I'm always looking for that magical fairy tale, the one that speaks to the kid in me while still appealing to the adult I am. And I found just that in Gods of Jade and Shadow.

Casiopea and her mother have been living with relatives ever since her father unexpectedly passed away. Because the two of them don't have money of their own, they are treated like servants, ordered to do menial tasks for the family. One day, Casiopea accidentally opens a chest full of bones, and what follows is the adventure she has always dreamed of.

Casiopea is my kind of heroine. Life dealt her an unfair hand, but she works hard and stays true to herself. Though her family treats her badly, she doesn't let that turn her bitter. She keeps dreaming of a better life. And when the opportunity to go on a grand adventure presents itself in the form of a request from the God of Death, she seizes it without hesitation. Then throughout the journey, she remains brave and smart and kind, even when great sacrifices are demanded of her. Honestly, I couldn't ask for a better main character.

Then there is Hun-KamΓ©, the God of Death. He's the perfect companion for Casiopea. He starts out all rigid and uptight, but as he spends more time around Casiopea and starts to unbend, he becomes likable and interesting. It was joyful to follow along as their sweet but improbable relationship unfurls and takes them both by surprise. The kindness and trust that they show each other is moving and magical, especially given how fragile and fleeting that first love is.

I also really enjoyed all the Mexican and Mayan folklore and mythology in here. It's all brand new to me, and it was fascinating to read this interpretation of the God of Death.

The story kept me in its thralls from the very first page. I wanted to stay curled up and reading, firmly entrenched in its magical universe. It's always a thrill when a book hits all the right notes: terrific cheer-worthy characters, a grand quest, a heart-rending love that could never be, and a showdown between good and evil. I can't believe it's taken me so long to get to this book, but I'm glad I finally did.

Readaroo Rating: 4 stars

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.