Review - 'Jar of Hearts' by Jennifer Hillier


If you're in the mood for something crazy and chilling, well, look no further.

Angela, Geo, and Kai were best friends in high school. They were inseparable until Geo fell in love with bad boy Calvin. Then one night, Angela mysteriously disappears. Geo carries the secret of what really happened for 14 years, until the day Angela's remains are discovered in the woods outside Geo's childhood home. What follows is the unraveling of what really happened on that fateful night all those years ago, and what is still to come for all involved.

This book is so darn entertaining. I was riveted from the very beginning, holding my metaphoric bowl of popcorn and turning the pages as fast I could. The writing is fast-paced and the atmosphere is deliciously suspenseful. I did find the first half to be more thrilling because I didn't know where the story was going, whereas by the second half, the story had crystallized into a narrative with a clear destination.

However, this story does require a tremendous suspension of disbelief. A lot of outlandish things happen, and if you think about it carefully, they don't really hang completely together. The characters are all unlikable and varying degrees of crazy. And to progress the plot, there are some coincidences, a lot of conveniences, and even some contradictions. Also, I found this book to be much darker than a typical thriller, with some of the bad events verging on the grotesque.

Still, I had a lot of fun reading this. It was crazy and dark and outlandish, and it kept me entertained throughout. This is my first book by Jennifer Hillier, and I'll have to check out more.

Readaroo Rating: 4 stars

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.