Review - 'The Department of Sensitive Crimes' by Alexander McCall Smith


The Department of Sensitive Crimes introduces us to detective Ulf Varg and his team, who are called upon to handle cases that are deemed too unusual or strange for the regular police force. This book contains three of those cases: a man stabbed in the back of the knee, the missing imaginary boyfriend, and a werewolf frightening guests at a spa. In between, we are treated to details about Varg and his teammates, and also his dog Martin.

At first, I found the storytelling style to be a bit disjointed and unusual, but I soon got used to it, and it won me over. I wouldn't say the three mysteries fit the mold of traditional mysteries. They are more like strange happenings that had reasonable explanations, which the detectives sussed out. Of the three cases, the missing imaginary boyfriend was definitely my favorite for how curious and surprising the whole thing was.

Interspersed among the cases were are lots of humorous and sometimes irreverent observations and tidbits, which just added to the quirky atmosphere. Going in, I wasn't sure if this would be my type of book, but I definitely enjoyed it. If you're looking for something a bit off the beaten path of mysteries, I think this would be a fun one to try.

Readaroo Rating: 4 stars

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.