Review - 'The Woman in the Park' by Teresa Sorkin & Tullan Holmqvist


In The Woman in the Park, Sarah meets a handsome and mysterious man in the park. She is immediately drawn to him, and his presence adds a flame of excitement to her otherwise mundane life as a housewife to a cheating husband and children who are growing up and pulling away. But soon a woman from the park goes missing, and police come knocking on her door. And as the truth unravels, we realize nothing is as it seems.

This was a super fun and easy read. Once I started, I was hooked and I couldn't put it down. I've been in a reading slump lately where it has taken me many days to get through a book, but I bombed through this one in two days. It was fast-paced, and there were lots of twists and turns along the way to keep me entertained. I also liked the shorter length, and how the narration didn't get bogged down in the main character's internal ruminations (a pet peeve of mine in reading this genre of modern psychological thrillers).

But you guys, I called it, almost from the very beginning! Without giving anything away, I'll say that it reminded me of something I've seen before, and it pretty much had the same clues. For me, this is the problem with most books of this genre: there are only so many possibilities, so once you've seen some, you've seen them all. And my overactive brain refuses to shut off and let me enjoy it unspoiled. But that's my problem, and not the book's.

What an enjoyable and riveting story this was. I only wish I hadn't figured things out so early and instead had been surprised at every turn, the way many other readers were by this story. But I'm happy to overlook this because it's fairly rare for me to have a positive experience with this genre. This is a very promising start for this author duo, and I look forward to more from them.

Readaroo Rating: 4 stars

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.