Review - 'It Started with a Secret' by Jill Mansell


In It Started with a Secret, Lainey and Kit, looking to take on new jobs, signs up to help a large family organize their house and their lives. Each member of the family is going through their own turmoil, so they need all the help they can get. But in order to qualify for the job, they had to pretend to be a couple. This one little fib kicks off what turns out to be a fun-filled and heartwarming adventure for everyone involved.

This is a quintessential Jill Mansell: lighthearted, funny, and absolutely feelgood. The characters are all quirky and fun, and you can't help but cheer for them to find their happiness. Yes, it's a bit cheesy in the end when it all works out for every single person, but it never feels overly saccharine, so it still comes across as satisfying and authentic.

I only gave this one 3 stars because the story didn't quite grab my heart the way other Mansell books have done in the past. I think it's because this one has a lot of characters and multiple diverging/intersecting storylines, so it ended up feeling a little bit chaotic. But honestly, I still had so much fun reading it. Once I started, I couldn't put it down. I wrapped myself in a cozy blanket and pretty much gulped the whole thing down in a day.

Mansell has this way of taking a light and fluffy genre (chick-lit) that's been done every which way, and making it into something new and interesting. Each of her books and characters feels unique, and it's the reason I keep coming back to her. Even though this isn't my favorite book of hers, it still brought me so much joy to read it and to immerse myself in that world. There are so many Mansell books I haven't read yet, and I'm already looking forward to my next one.

Readaroo Rating: 3 stars

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.