Review - 'The Good Sister' by Sally Hepworth


There's only been one time that Rose couldn't stop me from doing the wrong thing and that was a mistake that will haunt me for the rest of my life.
Fraternal twins Fern and Rose are as close as two sisters can be. Fern has sensory processing issues, and Rose has looked out for her all her life. When Fern unexpected comes across a chance at love, secrets from their past start to surface. And soon, it's not at all clear who really is The Good Sister.

I found the initial chapters of the book to be riveting. Both Rose and Fern are well-developed characters, and they really jump off the pages. Fern, in particular, with her unique difficulties, is so sincere and loveable. She tries hard to fit into the world around her, but she's constantly bumbling it up just a bit. The love story in here is my favorite part of the book, and it was a joy to read the interactions between Fern and Wally.

But to imply that this is a thriller of any kind is really stretching it. This is first and foremost a domestic drama, with just a hint of a secret in there to propel the narrative forward. I found the pacing to be quite slow, especially after the initial setup. Maybe I didn't have the right expectations going in, but I kept waiting for something exciting or shocking to happen, which didn't materialize. It was clear where the story was headed by the halfway point, after which all the suspense fizzled out. As a result, it started to lose steam for me, and my attention drifted away.

Still, the ending pulled it all together. It delivers the secrets that have been promised all along, and wraps everything up with satisfaction. While nothing truly surprised me, I did enjoy the story overall. It's my first time reading Sally Hepworth, and I'm impressed with her characters. They really made this story shine.

I think fans of women's fiction centered around intriguing family drama will very much enjoy this story, as long as expectations of shocking twists are kept in check.

Readaroo Rating: 3 stars

My heartfelt thanks for the copy that was provided for my honest and unbiased review.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.