Review - 'Project Hail Mary' by Andy Weir


Thoroughly imaginative, scientifically sound, and emotionally stirring, Project Hail Mary slayed me and is destined to become one of my all-time favorite books!

Ryland Grace wakes up in a spaceship light years from Earth. The problem is he doesn't remember who he is or what he's supposed to do. But whatever it is, it must be important, or he wouldn't have been sent on this mission with two other astronauts. Unfortunately, neither of them survived the journey, so he is all alone. And he is Earth's last hope for survival.

One thing that completely amazed me was how believable and plausible the science is in here. There's nothing worse than reading a science fiction book and realizing that the science part is all sham. Not here, folks. Not only is the premise intriguing and ingenious, but the whole thing actually makes sense. And it's easy to grasp and digest, divided into small bits that any layman can understand.

For me, science fiction falls into two categories: the Twilight Zone kind where kooky things are going on and explanations are a bit handwavy; or things are happening based on real science and there are actual explanations for everything. And this book falls solidly in the second, which is my favorite kind.

Science aside, this story is so much more. It is about hope and finding connections in the most unexpected of places. It's overcoming fear and adversity. It's digging deep within yourself, rising to the challenge, and becoming all that you are capable of.

I'm not sure how Andy Weir came up with the idea for this book, though I can't help but wonder at its sheer audacity. It was compelling from the first page, and it just got better and better. It was utterly unputdownable.

When I'm reading a book, I'm always looking for that special rare experience where the book touches me and I walk away irrevocably changed. This book made me laugh, think, hope, and marvel. It doesn't get any better than this.

Readaroo Rating: 5 stars!

This was an add-on for my Book of the Month box. If you're curious about BOTM or want to find out how to get your first book for $5, click here.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.