Review - 'Lightseekers' by Femi Kayode


Absolutely riveting and thought-provoking, Lightseekers takes crime fiction to contemporary Nigeria and weaves a tale that is both relevant and relatable.

Dr. Taiwo, a criminal psychologist, is called upon to investigate the public lynching of three university students at a nearby town. At its surface, the crime seems straightforward, with the mob getting out of control in its quest for vigilante justice after the three victims had been accused of stealing. But something doesn't add up, with the local police, the town, and the university all hurrying to hush up the matter.

I read a lot of mysteries, and this one stands out, both for its unusual crime and for its setting in modern-day Nigeria. The investigation was gripping from the first page, and I felt myself propelled along as I tried to figure out what happened and who is responsible.

The case unfolds carefully and methodically, though if I had to make a critique, it's that it's overly so at times. There were definitely moments when I've already put two and two together, and it feels like Dr. Taiwo is still getting there. Thankfully, it didn't slow down the pacing of the book, which still felt taut and urgent.

But this book is so much more than just an investigation. I don't know much about Nigeria, and I enjoyed the look into this country and its sociopolitical climate. I also appreciated the exploration into mob mentality, how tribalism can overtake facts, and its tenacious hold over society when opportunities are lacking. Though it takes place in Nigeria, I think any reader will see the parallels to many places in the world, including the U.S.

This is a tremendous debut, entertaining and insightful. I cannot wait to read more from Femi Kayode.

Readaroo Rating: 4 stars

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.