Review - 'A Line To Kill' by Anthony Horowitz


When's the last time an author wrote themselves into a fictional murder mystery? I can't think of one either, and that's what's so neat about this particular series. Horowitz portrays himself as the hapless, mildly bumbling Watson to Hawthorne's shrewd Sherlock, and it's a compelling, fascinating read every time.

In this installment, A Line To Kill, Horowitz has been invited to a literary festival on the island of Alderney, and the only catch is that he must also bring along the subject of his book series, ex-Detective Inspector Hawthorne. While Horowitz thinks his biggest problem is trying to get Hawthorne to appear more genial and likable to their audience, a murder happens right under their nose.

I just love murder mysteries that happen on islands. Perhaps it's the illusion of a locked-room mystery or knowing that the suspects have no way to escape, forcing everyone to hang around until the guilty party is found. It creates this slightly menacing but mostly fun atmosphere that I can't get enough of.

This book has everything I've come to enjoy from the series: a small handful of suspects, lots of red herrings, and a few well-done twists that harken back to the days of the Golden Age of Mystery. The dynamic between Hawthorne and Horowitz reminds me of the odd couple, with Hawthorne as gruff and reticent as ever and Horowitz constantly trying to draw him out without success. Along the way, the author manages to poke gentle fun at his fictional self, and the whole thing is quite droll.

This is such a fun series, and this latest installment is another great addition. It grabbed me from the very first page and kept me riveted throughout. I ended up devouring it in under two days. I hope Horowitz continues to write more, though I wonder what'll happen when he runs out of literary puns?

Readaroo Rating: 4 stars

My heartfelt thanks for the advance copy that was provided for my honest and unbiased review.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.