Review - 'The Song of Achilles' by Madeline Miller


"Name one hero who was happy . . . You can't . . . I'll tell you a secret . . . I'm going to be the first."
Achilles is destined to become the greatest warrior of his generation. But before that, he is just a boy growing up in Phthia with his devoted companion Patroclus by his side. The two are sent away to the mountains to be trained, but it isn't long before war comes calling when Helen of Troy is kidnapped. Achilles is forced to choose between eternal glory and mediocrity, but with greatness comes a price that Achilles and Patroclus will both have to pay.

Well, now I feel a bit silly for having waited so long to read this! If I had known how remarkable and thrilling of a tale The Song of Achilles is, I would have gobbled it up years ago.

I thought it was really interesting that this story is told from Patroclus's perspective. In Greek mythology, Patroclus is a minor character and hardly ever mentioned, but he is central to this tale. And through his eyes, we are able to see all the facets of Achilles: the making of a hero though still a boy at heart, shining and bright, easily seduced by glory, and ultimately a tragic figure.

It's not easy to take a beloved and much-revered story and make it your own, but Miller did a masterful job. This retelling feels fresh and sharp, relevant to the modern audience while still staying true to the original material. It has everything you would expect from Greek mythology: love, war, glory, sacrifice, and redemption. I was hooked from the first page to the last.

This has one of the best endings I've come across in a long time. It isn't so much what happens as the way it is written. Visceral and gut-wrenching, it builds in power and emotion until I was good and blubbering. It gave me all the feels.

It took me so long to get to this book. I think I was afraid it wouldn't live up to all the hype I'd heard over the years. But it was worth the wait. Stunning, epic, and beautifully-written, it's a coming-of-age story, but also one of war and love and sacrifice. It's truly a memorable tale.

Readaroo Rating: 5 stars!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.