Review - 'We Are the Brennans' by Tracey Lange


Wow, just when you think your family is messed up, here come the Brennans.

Sunday Brennan has been living in Los Angeles for the last five years after running away from her family and her high school sweetheart. She's keeping secrets that will surely tear them apart, but she's not the only one with skeletons in the closet. When an accident forces her home, and the family comes together after so many years, she and everyone will have no choice but to finally confront all that has been unsaid.

I was a little unsure going into this because do I really enjoy reading about drama among family members? But I needn't have worried at all. This story was compelling from the very first page. Tracey Lange really made these characters and their world come alive, and I was immediately pulled in.

Normally, conflict that comes solely from things unsaid isn't my favorite because it can all be quickly cleared up by just speaking the truth. And while that is the case here, the nuanced characters and their difficult decisions convinced me that the secrets are valid and they did what they thought was the best given the circumstances.

As we wind our way through the narrative, there were so many unexpected twists and turns that surprised me and kept me interested in this dysfunctional family and all the ways they've messed up. I found the whole thing to be riveting.

This is such a phenomenal debut from Tracey Lange. She has this way with building up a remarkable story and fleshing out interesting characters and dynamics to support it. I can't wait to read more from her.

Readaroo Rating: 4 stars

My heartfelt thanks for the advance copy that was provided for my honest and unbiased review.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.