Review - 'The Last House on Needless Street' by Catriona Ward


There is something odd going on in the boarded-up house at the end of Needless Street. Its inhabitants include a man who drinks a lot, an angry teenage girl who isn't allowed out, and a religious cat. When a new neighbor moves in next door, it seems all their secrets will finally come to light.

Talk about a riveting story. It took me a few chapters to get into the rhythm of this, but once I did, I could not put it down. There is this chilling and discordant atmosphere that permeates the pages and kept me coming back for more. When I wasn't reading it, I was thinking about it, mulling over what was real and what wasn't, and trying to puzzle it all out.

A lot has been said about the twists in here, but I don't want to talk them up too much because I think it sets up unreasonably high expectations. Either you'll get an inkling of what's going on or you won't, but in both cases, there are still plenty of surprises in store.

I'm not afraid to admit that this book got under my skin. At times, it feels so raw and dark and uncomfortable. I even had a dream about it, though my subconscious subbed in much scarier details than what was actually in the book, which thoroughly freaked me out.

This feels like one of those books that everyone will read and talk about. It's wild, engrossing, and thoroughly memorable. If you read this (which I highly recommend), don't skip the afterword. It adds a new dimension to the story, and I appreciate it even more for what the author said in there.

Readaroo Rating: 4 stars

My heartfelt thanks for the advance copy that was provided for my honest and unbiased review.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.