Review - 'Legends & Lattes' by Travis Baldree


Oh my word! Is cozy fantasy a thing? Because I absolutely need more of this in my life!

I don't know what I expected going in. The cover would have me thinking it's some sort of Dungeons and Dragons fanfic. But I don't know anything about the game, so I imagined this wouldn't be my jam. Ha, was I wrong.

Viv is tired of being a bounty hunter and is hanging up her sword. The orc is settling down to the quiet life, opening a coffee shop in the city of Thune. But can she really leave her previous life behind and find success and a new home, especially in a city where she is a complete stranger and no one even knows what coffee is?

Ah, this story! It's just brimming with joy and heart on every page. To read it is to be enveloped in the gentlest, warmest of hugs. You don't have to be an orc or bounty hunter to fully appreciate the themes in here—of starting anew, finding yourself and a place to belong, and opening your heart to never thought-of possibilities. It's such a core part of the human experience, and this book captured a most lovely rendition of it.

But to say this story is cozy doesn't mean it's boring. To the contrary, there is excitement and tension aplenty, with all the right components to have me turning the pages as fast as I could. I wanted to gulp it down, but also to savor it slowly. I couldn't think of a single thing I didn't enjoy in here, from the characters to the plot to the writing.

I can totally see why this book has gotten all the hype, and I can't recommend it enough. Now I know what you're thinking: But Yun, I don't read stories about orcs or hobs or gnomes. Well, neither do I, and look where I am. Obviously, if you only enjoy tales of sadness and misery, this book isn't for you. But if you want something truly heartwarming and delightful, then this is not to be missed.

Readaroo Rating: 5 stars!

My heartfelt thanks for the copy that was provided for my honest and unbiased review.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.