Review - 'Mrs. Quinn's Rise to Fame' by Olivia Ford



'It's sometimes easy to feel left behind at my age, as if the world has a future and you have no place in it... but I hope to discover that there is meaning and adventure still to be found.'

I have a huge soft spot for stories of growing old and finding joy and purpose, so it's no surprise that I adored Mrs. Quinn's Rise to Fame.

Jenny Quinn is 77 years old and looking forward to celebrating her diamond anniversary with her beloved husband Bernard of 60 years. They both agree that at their age, it's best to just take it easy. But when the opportunity presents to compete on Britain Bakes, Jenny knows she can't pass it up. After so long, here finally is her chance to prove herself and show what she's capable of.

I have yet to meet a literary septuagenarian I'm not fond of, and Jenny continues the trend. Her quest for purpose and meaning past when she thought she'd have the chance makes my heart swell with so much emotion. I can't help but cheer her on through every bake, hoping she'll achieve the dream she's reaching for.

Even though I don't have much of a sweet tooth, I've certainly watched a few seasons of The Great British Bake Off like everyone else out there and enjoyed them immensely. And this book pays such a lovely homage to the show with its own Britain Bakes. We follow Jenny as she competes in each episode, turning out delicious treats while making friends and discovering the joy of doing something for herself, all at the ripe old age of 77.

If you're like me and not an aficionado of baked goods, you might be unsure if your eyes will glaze over from all the baking in this story. But don't worry because while I did have to look up each baked good mentioned just to see what they look like, it was smooth sailing from then on out. And just like The Great British Bake Off, this story does a great job pulling you along and not getting bogged down in the baking weeds. In fact, I found the whole thing quite riveting.

But it's not just the baking that got me. It was also Jenny's journey of self-discovery. We see through her flashbacks how she came to be the person that she is, while also understanding the secret she's keeping from her husband. At where I am in my life, that part of the story really grabbed me. It was both heartbreaking and redemptive, and I definitely had the tissues ready.

What a delightful, heartwarming story this turned out to be. I'm loving the recent trend in books to feature folks of old age realizing their dreams, and I hope it continues.

Readaroo Rating: 4 stars

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.