Review - 'The Nightingale' by Kristin Hannah


Let me pose a question so you'll understand my low rating: Say you were fleeing for your life, running nonstop, no food or water for days, seeing people around you drop from exhaustion, being bombed, and surrounded by blood and the stench of death. Would you then, as the first thing you do after arriving at shelter with potential food, kiss a stranger with burning desire and profess your love?

That is just one example of why this book is not my cup of tea. Everything is overly dramatic to the point of being silly, making me feel like I'm reading a soap opera instead of a serious historical novel about WWII. The main characters (the two sisters) aren't particularly likable or interesting. They come across as one-dimensional cliched versions of their personality types: one afraid of everything, the other reckless and impetuous.

Also, how can a book set in WWII about two brave female protagonists be so dull and uninteresting? Most of this book drags on and on (not helped by its long length), offering up developments tidbit by tidbit, seemingly without going anywhere. Thankfully, things do speed up to a brisk rate in the last few chapters of the book, bringing everything to a merciful conclusion.

If you're wondering whether to read this book, I would say read it if you're looking for a cheesy historical drama; otherwise, skip it... there are better WWII novels out there.

Readaroo Rating: 2 stars

2 comments:

  1. I am so glad I DNF'd it and did not continue with it; I tried both reading and listening to it. I don't understand the hype. After reading your review, I'm glad to know that I am not alone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for the delay in replying, Kathryn, I just saw this! Yay one other person agrees... I thought it was just me that didn't like this book. Now we know there are at least two people lol!

      Delete

Powered by Blogger.