Review - 'The Boys in the Boat: Nine Americans and Their Epic Quest for Gold at the 1936 Berlin Olympics' by Daniel James Brown


It took me a while to pick this book up because I don't know anything about rowing, and I thought I wouldn't find this book particularly interesting as a result. Boy, was I wrong! Riveting and uplifting, this book has surpassed all my expectations. For a book in which you know the outcome (it says so in the subtitle), it is suspenseful, gripping, and full of raw emotions.

I appreciate that it's meticulously researched, and even though it's full of personal details about the boys and historical details about what's going on at the time in the US and the world, it never feels bogged down. It's well-written so that all the characters pop off the page, along with their hopes and dreams. As I'm reading it, I can't help but cheer for these boys who come from such humble backgrounds, and through determination and perseverance in the face of extreme obstacles, finally achieve their dreams. This is surely one of the best books I've ever read!

Readaroo Rating: 5 stars!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.