Review - 'Magpie Murders' by Anthony Horowitz


I thought I'd seen it all when it comes to murder mysteries. But then Magpie Murders comes along and completely blows me away!

Author Alan Conway is well known for his famous Atticus Pünd detective series, so when editor Susan Ryeland receives his latest manuscript, she's excited to dig in. But it soon becomes clear that Conway enjoys hiding clues of real people inside his stories. And when she gets word that he has unexpectedly passed away, she starts to wonder. What secrets does Conway's latest manuscript hold, and could they have led to his death?

This story is set up as a mystery within a mystery. We get to enjoy the Atticus Pünd manuscript in its entirety, and its style is reminiscent of Agatha Christie. And we get the whole mystery of Conway's death, as well as how the two of them tie together. It's absolutely brilliant how the book interweaves both a throwback to the golden age of crime and a more modern take on the same genre.

The two mysteries are full of the things I love in a whodunnit: twists and turns, red herrings, and suspects that all have something to hide. The whole thing is riveting and so unapologetically fun. And when we get to the resolution, it is utterly satisfying and rewards the reader for having paid attention.

When I come across a truly clever murder mystery, I both binge read it and consciously try to slow myself down to savor each delicious detail as it comes up. Looking back on mysteries I've read in recent years, I don't think I've enjoyed any other contemporary author's take on this genre as much as Anthony Horowitz's. If there ever was a book I wish I could scrub from my memory just to have the joy of reading it again, it would have to be this one.

Readaroo Rating: 5 stars!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.