Review - 'The Good Daughter' by Karin Slaughter


In The Good Daughter, a crime is committed to two young sisters and their mother, and then many years later there is a crime in the same town that dredges up old feelings and secrets.

While the book is advertised as a mystery/thriller, it read to me more like a drama for the first 450 pages out of 500. It's an interesting drama for sure, but I went into it wanting more of a mystery, and I think this is a case where what I got didn't align with my expectations.

When I think of a mystery, I think of red herrings and clues that eventually lead to a eureka moment. Instead, the mystery of the first crime was my least favorite sort of mystery, where it wasn't unsolved but rather that the people involved just chose to keep secrets from each other. The new mystery doesn't really have clues. At some point, someone notices something and then they know what happened.

I think this story is still enjoyable for what it is, and Slaughter is clearly a skilled writer. But just know that this book falls more on the drama side than a mystery or thriller.

Readaroo Rating: 3 stars

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.