Review - 'Kingdom of the Blazing Phoenix' by Julie C. Dao


Kingdom of the Blazing Phoenix is the sequel to Forest of a Thousand Lanterns, and I've been eagerly anticipating it ever since I finished the first book last year. The sequel switches gears and focuses on Jade (east Asian Snow White, reimagined), who is destined to overthrow her evil stepmother Xifeng and save the kingdom. We follow her as she learns of her destiny and sets out on a series of adventures and tasks that will help her achieve her goals.

Many people mentioned they are disappointed with Jade because Xifeng was such an riveting evil heroine in the first book, while Jade pales in comparison as a goody two shoes who can do no wrong. I agree that just based on the main hero of the books, the first one was more interesting, yet I found this sequel to be no less compelling.

Dao took some small parts from the classic fairy tale, and weaved a whole world around it, fleshing it out and really making this story her own. There are so many unique and imaginative parts to it that it just sucked me right in. The quest that Jade undertakes to journey through the lands of her kingdom and find the five relics of the gods makes the book feel epic, all culminating in the final fight that determines whether good or evil will triumph.

I've been trying to put my finger on exactly what it is about this duology that is so fun, and in the end, I think it's my enjoyment of the characters and how entertaining the plot is. Dao has a real knack for crafting likable characters I can sympathize with and cheer for, whether they be good or bad. And she has shown a skillful ability to weave a tale that is complex and riveting. This duology is Dao's first books, and I look forward to reading more from her.

Readaroo Rating: 4 stars

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.