Review - 'Saints for All Occasions' by J. Courtney Sullivan


I've had Saints for All Occasions in my physical to-read pile for a while now. I keep picking it up due to the great reviews, and then putting it down again after reading the book jacket, wondering if there is enough in this book to keep my attention. I'm so glad I finally took the plunge and read this beautiful book.

It's a multi-generation story that starts out with sisters Nora and Theresa. As their lives take unexpected turns and fill with hardships, each has to make difficult decisions and sacrifices, which in turn drives them away from each other. It's not until tragedy strikes that they come together once again.

I really enjoyed the portrayals of family relationships in this book, in all their complexities and subtleties. Each person in the family has their own views and expectations, while bringing with them lots of baggage. As a result, each relationship is fraught with all that is left unsaid and unknown. Sullivan gently probes and explores that side-by-side with the power of love and the bonds of family.

I'm so glad I picked up this eloquent and moving book. While the topic isn't one that would normally interest me, I found this to be no less riveting and compelling due to it, largely because of the author's vividly graceful writing and astute perspectives on relationships. This is the first book I've read by Sullivan, and I'm definitely going to pick up more books by her.

Readaroo Rating: 4 stars

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.