Review - 'A Ladder to the Sky' by John Boyne


A Ladder to the Sky is about a young writer who is willing to do anything to achieve fame and greatness in the literary world. When I first heard about the concept, I didn't think it would interest me very much, but it had gotten rave reviews, so I thought I'd check it out. And am I glad I did. This book left me completely amazed and gobsmacked.

The book details Maurice's climb to the top, divided into three parts. Each of the first two parts are told from the perspective of someone close to Maurice, while the third part is told from his own perspective. In each part, no matter who's the narrator, it's clear that nothing can stand in the way of Maurice's charm, ambition, and utter disregard for others.

It took me by surprise how much I enjoyed this book. I usually don't like books that are dark because darkness can be cringe-worthy and make me not want to participate in such unpleasantness. This book is undeniably dark, but it's also intriguing and completely unputdownable. Maurice is the perfect antihero, immoral and manipulative, and I just can't look away as destruction and ruin unfold along his path.

Not only are the characters in this book awesome, but the plot line takes one surprising turn after another, keeping me constantly at the edge of my seat. I'm reading this while I'm down with a cold, and I hardly notice I'm sick--that's how riveting this story is.

I won't say anymore because I don't want to spoil this amazing book. You should go and read it if you haven't yet. And I need to go and check out some more of Boyne's books.

Readaroo Rating: 5 stars!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.