Review - 'Dear Wife' by Kimberly Belle


In Dear Wife, local real estate agent Sabine is missing, and her husband Jeffery has secrets to hide. Meanwhile, Beth (not her real name) is on the run from her abusive husband, and it's going to take all her careful planning and wits to stay one step ahead of him. The police have assigned detective Marcus to the case to find Sabine and figure out what really happened to her.

The premise is intriguing enough, though I mainly picked up the book based on the strength of its stellar reviews. And there were parts I really enjoyed about this book. I thought the writing was riveting, the short chapters kept me turning the pages swiftly to find out what happened next, and the "good" characters were likable and interesting.

But I figured out what was going on not long after the halfway point, and then the book lost its thrill. There were many clues all pointing one way, and it was so obvious what was going on (which I don't think I have ever said about any book before). And once it became clear to me, reading the rest of the book became more sluggish and plodding.

Still, I enjoyed the book for the most part, and found at least the earlier half to be snappy and riveting. I just wish its mysteries were better concealed for longer so that I had more time to bask in the thrill of twists and secrets instead of just reading to reach the ultimate conclusion.

Readaroo Rating: 3 stars

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.