Review - 'Police' by Jo Nesbø


Police is another solidly gripping installment of the Harry Hole series. This time, someone is brutally murdering police officers at the site of old, unsolved homicides where they have investigated and the trail has gone cold. As the body count starts ratcheting up, and it hits closer and closer to home, the police realize they have no leads, and their best investigator is not available to help out.

I feel this series is at its most entertaining and spine-chilling when dealing with serial killers, and I'm happy that this book went back to that theme. There were so many clues and red herrings in here, and for a while sinister vibes were coming off of everyone. It was great fun, and I couldn't turn the pages fast enough. About two-thirds of the way through, I started to get an inkling of what might've been going on and was pleasantly surprised when I turned out to be right, for once!

As a random aside, I'm someone who's quite squeamish and the crimes in this book are gruesome (a Jo Nesbø hallmark), but for some reason that doesn't bother me in this series. I've been trying to figure out why for the last four books, and I still can't put my finger on it. Maybe it's so outlandishly horrifying that it comes across as quite hammed up and therefore I find it to be great fun? Although if that's the explanation, I'm not sure what it says about me.

I noticed with this and the last book that even though each is a standalone and the main crime is solved, there are a few loose ends that doesn't get wrapped up and are carried over into the next book. I personally prefer my books to be wholly self-contained due to poor memory issues, but this just means I can't wait too long until I read the next one.

Readaroo Rating: 4 stars

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.