Review - 'The Bookish Life of Nina Hill' by Abbi Waxman


In The Bookish Life of Nina Hill, our quirky heroine Nina is perfectly happy with her life exactly the way it is: she works in a bookstore, plays trivia, has a small group of friends and a cat, and often prefers the company of her books to that of people. She's organized to a fault, doesn't like surprises, and finds her home to be her favorite place in the world. Then life throws her for a loop when she finds herself attracted to a fellow trivia player and family she doesn't even know existed intrudes into her life.

This is an adorable story, made all the more so because I can see parts of myself in Nina. I found the first half of this story to be especially enjoyable, with lots of laugh-out-loud moments in the witty banter and popular references as we get to know Nina. For me, the second half wasn't as interesting, especially around all the interactions with the new family members. A lot of the fun of the first half petered out, and it became more wacky than quirky.

Still, it was a lovely and charming read for the most part. I'm glad I picked it up, largely because it was so entertaining to see a lot of my own introverted tendencies in Nina Hill. She's definitely a character I can understand and cheer for.

Readaroo Rating: 3 stars

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.