Review - 'The Queen of Nothing' by Holly Black


The Queen of Nothing starts off where the last book left off, with Jude at a disadvantage and trying to figure out how to take back the power she has lost. There was a little bit of setup at the beginning to get the story going, but once it did and the action starts, it doesn't let up. My heart was in my throat the entire time, hoping Jude will overcome whatever current obstacles are in her way, and then as soon as she does, another crazy obstacle appears. It was a thrilling ride from beginning to end.

This is the book that we really see Jude come into her own. In the past, she was angry and ruthless, but indiscriminately so in her quest for power and respect. In this one, she is faced with decisions that require her to confront her humanity, and it was satisfying to see her character develop into someone more well-rounded.

All the things I loved from the previous books are back. There is so much clever dialogue in here, with everyone verbally cutting down everyone else. What I really need is to remember some of the witty repartee so I can incorporate it into my everyday conversations. And everyone is still scheming and mercilessly trying to advance their own agenda, so there are plenty of entertaining clashes.

This series contains one of the most tautly written romantic pairings I can remember, with so much shared hatred and mistrust, but also passion and hope. Those elements of the relationship are still going strong in this book, but we finally see it soften and become more affectionate as each side learns to trust the other.

This was the stunning conclusion to the trilogy that has taken over my life for the last week. I tried extremely hard to read this book as slowly as I possibly could, savoring every word. But alas, two days and I am done with it (and this world... forever). *sobs* And what an ending it was, the sort befitting such an epic story and journey.

Readaroo Rating: 5 stars!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.