Review - 'The Bride Wore Black' by Cornell Woolrich


"I'm all set now . . . I'm young. I've got love, I've got a clear track. The rest is a cinch."
Ha, famous last words...

A series of deaths have left the police stumped. On the surface they seem unconnected, but in each case, a mysterious woman was on the scene moments before the victim meets their untimely end. No one knows who this woman is, but she's clearly seeking vengeance for a grievance of the past. And unless the police quickly solve this case, she will continue her deadly mission.

This story sucked me in immediately. It was dark and atmospheric, giving off vibes of classic film noir from back in the day, reminiscent of Alfred Hitchcock. Here is this femme fatale, and she is sharp and resourceful. I can't help but cheer her on and hope that she doesn't get caught. Whenever she succeeds in pulling off a murder, I marvel at her style and efficiency, and look forward to more. It was wicked fun, and I couldn't turn the pages fast enough.

It did take me a little bit initially to get into the writing style. This story was originally published in the 1940s, so some of the words and sentence structures felt a bit odd and awkward at first. But it wasn't long before I warmed to it, and then I was flying through the story.

What a complete delight this turned out to be. It had me riveted from beginning to end, cheering for the killer to strike again and again (which is a new experience for me, I admit). If you're looking for a short murder mystery that's a bit off the beaten path, or you just enjoy the classic noir style, I totally recommend this gem of a tale.

Readaroo Rating: 4 stars

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.