Review - 'Finlay Donovan Is Killing It' by Elle Cosimano


You never want to be the asshole that leaves a message promising to kill someone for being late, only to find out they've already been murdered.
Poor Finlay. She's a struggling author writing books no one's reading. Her two young kids are driving her crazy while her ex-husband fired the nanny. And on top of that, she's completely broke. When a meeting with her literary agent turns into a big misunderstanding about her being an assassin for hire, it seems Finlay's problems have only just begun.

Finlay Donovan Is Killing It has got to have one of the most intriguing setups I've ever seen. And that setup comes to pass in one of the best scenes I've read in a long time. At one point I was howling with laughter, causing my husband to come over and ask if I was all right.

A lot of times, a book's promise of mystery and intrigue and laughs don't really amount to much, and I'm left at the end thinking, "Is that it?" But not this time. In this book, I daresay, we get everything we're promised, and that's such a satisfying feeling.

The tone of this book is darkly humorous. It doesn't take itself too seriously, and the reader shouldn't either. It's not meant to be completely believable, but rather fun and just a bit over the top.

I totally enjoyed this zany story, which delighted and surprised me from beginning to end. It looks like this will be the start of a series, and I couldn't be more excited. With that little bombshell of an ending, I can only hope our wait for the next book isn't too tortuously long.

Readaroo Rating: 4 stars

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.