Review - 'Broken Wish' by Julie C. Dao


"Where magic gives, it can also take--in ways that no one can foresee."
I've enjoyed tremendously every book I've read by Julie Dao, so when I saw that she had a new one out, the first of a four-book series where each is written by a different author (how unusual), I was intrigued. I confess I snatched it up so fast I almost got whiplash.

The series follows four generations of a family both blessed with magical powers and plagued by a curse that haunts them. In this first book, Broken Wish, we see how the curse comes to be, and follows strong-spirited Elva as she masters her powers and tries to save her family.

Going in, I was immediately drawn to the magical feeling and the fairy tale atmosphere of this story. There was so much goodness all around, but also a lot of darkness. It was great fun to immerse myself in this tale that appeals to the inner child in me. It reminds me of being young and optimistic, and it was very comforting.

Just like any fairy tale, this one has great lessons to be learned. I love the strong female characters in here, in particular Elva and Mathilda. They're both resourceful and courageous, staying true to who they are on the inside, even when outside pressure tries to force them to take a more conforming path. They're also looking for acceptance and belonging in a world that is prejudiced against who they are. (Sound familiar? No wonder Disney chose to throw their weight behind this series.)

This isn't gritty or cynical, nor will it leave you wrecked after reading it. And I can't even say the ideas in here are all that unique. Rather, it is unapologetic in what it is: a feelgood fairy tale, and it's a darn good one.

Fairy tales aren't just for kids, and this book is the perfect example of that. I was swept away by its magic, and it reminded me of why I still come back to them as an adult, again and again.

P.S. This book has such a gorgeous cover. A word of caution though: don't look at the inside back cover, because there's a small but obvious spoiler on there, which I stumbled upon as I was investigating the beautiful design. D'oh!

Readaroo Rating: 4 stars

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.