Review - 'The Soulmate Equation' by Christina Lauren


The Soulmate Equation has it all: a cheer-worthy couple, tons of chemistry, an adorable and funny supporting cast, and the most interesting premise.

Jess is a single mother who hasn't had a lot of luck in the relationship department. When her best friend suggests trying a new dating app that uses DNA matching to pair up participants, she is both skeptical and hopeful. But when her numbers come back and she is matched to one of the founders of the company, she is dumbstruck. Because she already knows him in real life, and he is rude and stuck up. How can they possibly be genetic soulmates?

The premise of this story is what initially caught my eye. It's absolutely fascinating to contemplate the possibility that compatibility could be genetically encoded into our DNA, and we only need to suss out the relevant data and create an app to harness it. As someone who enjoys all things data-related, this is right up my alley. Not to mention, I'm quite a sappy romantic and love the idea of soulmates.

But all that aside, at its heart, this is a terrific love story of enemies to lovers, and that's one of my favorite tropes. Everyone's so gruff and uptight in the beginning, but then they slowly thaw. I was positively gleeful, following along as this couple warmed up to each other and realized there is more between them than just hate and distrust.

There are so many lovable side characters in here, including Jess's outspoken romance-writer best friend Fizzy, her adorable and smart kid Juno, and her grandparents who have been helping and supporting her for as long as she can remember. The whole cast added so much humor and heart to this story.

For a romcom, this book doesn't shy away from touching upon some of the more complex issues if such a technology were to exist. I particularly appreciated its exploration of destiny versus choice, and also what it could mean emotionally to find out you are genetically compatible with a complete stranger.

This book hit all the right notes for me. I had previously read a few other books by this author duo and never really connected with them. But I'm so glad I took a chance on this one. Its unique premise drew me in, but it was the story itself that kept me riveted throughout.

Readaroo Rating: 4 stars

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.