Review - 'Every Last Secret' by A.R. Torre


Good news, everyone! It turns out I'm not broken and can indeed still enjoy domestic thrillers. I was just waiting for an actually decent one to cross my path, and one finally did, thank goodness!

Cat has what every woman in town wants: money, beauty, and social standing. She also has a successful and handsome husband who is devoted to her. Or at least that's what she thought, until a new neighbor moves in next door and starts working for William. Neena wants everything Cat has, and she'll do whatever it takes to get it all.

Talk about riveting! It took me all of ten pages before I was completely hooked. I couldn't put this book down. There was something so compelling about the story here, with these two women pretending to be friendly while scheming and backstabbing to get William's attention. You know what they say: keep your friends close but your enemies closer.

The level of insanity in here built up slowly, ratcheting up until I was good and ensnared in its fun. While what the two women did was rather wack, the reason this story worked for me is that the emotions behind their actions rang true. Torre deftly captures all the nuanced aspects of infidelity and temptation in a relationship, including the urge to stray for the person doing the cheating as well as the feelings of powerlessness and hopelessness for the spouse left in the wake of the destruction.

I did have one small quibble. The epilogue came across as a little odd to me. After everything was wrapped up and I thought the story had ended, it then continued some more. But the version of the people we got in the epilogue didn't really match emotionally with the people we'd come to know throughout the entire rest of the book. So that threw me off a bit. But I'm willing to overlook it for what was otherwise a thoroughly entertaining book.

This is everything I was hoping for when I cracked open the pages: a riotously good time with nasty characters doing questionable things, yet I was still sympathetic to them and happily cheered them on. After such a rare win for me with a domestic thriller, now I'm all excited to read more of the genre... or maybe not.

Readaroo Rating: 4 stars

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.